Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing
Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing teaches students how to organize and incorporate a legal argument into strong and cogent writing for a variety of applications in legal practice. Because effective legal writing is predicated on sound legal reasoning, the authors treat both as integral parts of one process.
- Comprehensive coverage of how to write an office memo, motion memo, and appellate brief—with additional chapters on oral
- argument, client letters, and professional email
- Exceptionally student-friendly treatment of how to organize a proof for a conclusion of law
- A thoughtful look at all aspects of legal reasoning, from rule-based analysis to the strategy of persuasion
- An accessible approach that focuses on the process of writing timely examples and exercises from legal practice
- A full complement of sample documents in the Appendices
- Additional materials and resources on the Companion Website.
A timely revision that reflects current practice, the Eighth Edition presents:
- Expanded coverage of oral research reports and email correspondence
- New sample appellate briefs from a recent transgender rights case
- A fresh look at statutory construction and case analysis